Wednesday 5 June 2013

Unveiled - part 1

I've been thinking about what to write on my blog. I started it to help promote my book - as a first time author, I want to give my book the best chance possible when it comes out. I've already written about myself in my previous post. What to write now? Thinking back on the past week, nothing life-changing has happened - you know, same old, same old. Why would anyone want to read about my relatively normal life? Yet surely, there must be something I can write about? Of course, I know what I can write about - I already know what I write about. Magic, love, struggle, the triumph of good over evil. I am a fantasy writer. How I ever thought I could write about something as mundane as my day-to-day life, I am not quite sure. So it's goodbye to staring at a blank page, and hello magical worlds. Let's see how this goes. Hope you like it! :)

"We shouldn't be doing this."
Cole rolls his eyes. "How else are we going to find out what's going on?"
"They'll kill us if they find out."
"Tell me something I don't know," he mutters, clearly not really listening.
Sighing, I give up and turn my eyes back towards the scene before us. Cole shifts slightly, bored. My feet have gone numb, we have been standing here so long. Cole isn't ready to give up yet.
We watch in silence for what must be another ten minutes. Nothing out of the ordinary happens. Tom, Sarah and Alex chat, eat and drink, like the old friends they are. I glance at Cole, who is still watching them intently.
Finally, I can't hold it in any longer. "'Look, I'm sure there's nothing going on," I say. "What would they be planning? I'm sorry, Cole, but I think you're just imagining it."
He shakes his head, frustrated. Pulling his face from the small crack in the rock through which we are spying, he turns to face me. "You didn't hear them. You didn't see them. You know what a terrible reputation those three had a few years back. They say they've changed their ways, but I for one don't believe that half of the horrible accidents that have happened in the last year were really accidents."
Cole falls silent when there is a rise in the volume of the voices, but once it has quieted again, he relaxes and continues. "The other day when I walked in on them, they were all in a huddle, talking. They broke off as soon as they saw me, but that's not it. The looks they gave me, Lexie - I swear they would have killed me right then and there if you hadn't walked in. You weren't watching them, they're planning something, and it has to do with us. They had these hungry looks about them. We're not safe, we need to know what's going on!"
I bite my tongue. Yes, I think Cole is being paranoid, but the least I can do is indulge him. Besides, as a sorceress, I am hardly helpless. Cole tends to forget it at times, but I can deal with just about any threat for both of us.
Resigning myself to another cold, wet day hidden in the dark cave spying on our quarry as they picnic on the grass, I turn back to the crack.
I can't see them. Tom, Sarah and Alex are gone. I crane my neck, trying to see them, but they seem to have left very quickly. Not a trace of their picnic remains.
"They've left," I say in relief, turning to Cole. Now we can go home - finally!
The relief shrivels in my throat as I turn. Cole is white and still. Tom is holding a knife to his throat.
Sarah and Alex are to either side of him. Before I can react, they grab me roughly.
"About done spying on us, are you?" Alex sneers.
I glance at Cole, too afraid to move in case it makes them decide to slit his throat. His eyes are wide, and I can tell his heart is beating just as fast as mine. I also know that Cole feels no pleasure in being right.
As Tom presses the knife threateningly against Cole's neck, it breaks the skin, and a small trickle of blood runs down onto his chest.

To be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment